Skip to main content

Run

This latest blogpost is all about parkrun, which is an organisation which arranges free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They have been taking place around the UK for several years and in Stoke-on-Trent since September 2011, when Hanley parkrun was held for the first time. Every Saturday morning, between 30 and 50 runners, plus volunteers and supporters gather in Hanley Park by the lake. When the fountains are turned on at 9am, the countdown to the start begins. The course takes us from the bottom of the park to the top and back (twice) and finishes by the bandstand just above the canal - it parkrun terminology, its a net uphill course.

I love parkrun.

I love the challenge of trying to improve my own time each week. So far this year, I've knocked about 2 minutes off my personal best and I'm really pleased about that. Each week, I feel like I can control my pace a lot better and the hills are not too big an obstacle to climb. The speedwork and hill training I've been doing in the week with Potters Trotters is certainly helping to get me round the course a bit faster. I've set myself a goal for the next few months - let's see if I can reach it! There are even a few photos of me in running action at parkrun:
  • Photo 1 - this was is from last Saturday as I achieved that new PB!
  • Photo 2 - bad hair day back in January!

I love meeting different people from local running clubs, finding out about there running experiences and running goals. We have an amazing mix of runners taking part in Hanley parkrun, from young to old, beginners to experienced marathon runners and families running together.  A quick plug for one of these runners - Phil is taking on the challenge of running 12 half marathons in 12 days to raise money for the Donna Louise Children's Hospice, including one based around the Hanley parkrun. Good luck with 6 Towns RunX2.

I love being part of the parkrun family. I like reading the post-race Twitter and Facebook banter from Hanley parkrun regulars and beyond. I love the crazy world that is the parkrunshow (ever if presenter Danny Norman doesn't think Stoke-on-Trent oatcakes are real oatcakes) and read the parkrun newsletter each week to find out what is happening in the world of parkrun - new events, new record attendances, new PBs. We also frequently get visitors from other parkruns coming to test out our "undulating" circuit at Hanley parkrun (for "undulating" read "hilly"). I've even been a parkrun tourist myself, when I took on the challenge of Glasgow parkrun on an icy cold weekend in January. That was a completely different experience to Hanley parkrun - they have over 300 runners most weeks and take over the cafe in the Burrell Collection in Pollock Park after each event. 

I love the "volunteer" aspect of parkrun too. The whole event is organised on a voluntary basis and at Hanley parkrun, we're really looking to have great support from the Students' Union at Staffs Uni. It also means parkrun regulars are encouraged to miss out on running from time to time to take on the vital jobs of timekeeper, barcode scanner and signposter, as well as cheerleaders and photographers. This coming week at Hanley parkrun, I'm taking my second turn at volunteering and really looking forward to it. 
Snow Patrol at the SEEC

parkrun has become a really important part of my training for the Stafford Half Marathon, but more than that, it has been lots of fun and I look forward to the fun continuing.

Happy parkrun-ning!

LizT

PS The title of the blogpost, however, is a Snow Patrol reference - since seeing them at the SECC in Glasgow a few weeks ago, I've had a Snow Patrol playlist for each parkrun. There are some great lines in the songs to encourage me around the course, not least of which is "Don't keel over now, Don't keel over" from the song This Isn't Everything You Are! This is particularly appropriate as I steel myself to complete the final uphill stretch to the finish.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B